Roots & Vines

A Dynamic Genealogy Database

Print Bookmark

Headstones

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...


A chantry or obiit (Latin: "he has departed"; may also refer to the mass or masses themselves) was a form of trust fund established during the pre-Reformation medieval era in England for the purpose of employing one or more priests to sing a stipulated number of masses for the benefit of the soul of a specified deceased person, usually the donor who had established the chantry in his will, during a stipulated period of time immediately following his death. It was believed such masses would speed the deceased's soul through its undesirable and indeterminate period in Purgatory onwards to eternal rest in Heaven. A chantry chapel is a building on private land or a dedicated area or altar within a parish church or cathedral, set aside or built especially for the performance of the chantry duties by the priest. Source

The image above and the following text are from "The Chantries and Chantry Chapels of St George’s Chapel", by Dr Cindy Wood, University Of Winchester, and available via academia.edu

The chantry of William, Lord Hastings had been established by 1498–99 when it was being served by chantry priests receiving their full £8 salary per year, even though the actual foundation deed is dated November 1499. Hastings had been executed sixteen years earlier in 1483 by Richard III. It was not until 1506 that his son Edward, Lord Hastings, obtained a licence to alienate in mortmain land to the value of £20 a year for the dean and canons to provide an income to celebratedivine service daily for the soul of his father. The Hastings chapel however preceded its foundation deed. It is a cage chantry, thatis, a small enclosed chapel located entirely within a larger church building in previously open space. It stands in the fourth bay of the north choiraisle of St George’s, two bays to the west of the tomb of Edward IV. Thestonework is in the same style as the rest of St George’s Chapel, with traces of paint still evident on the outside. In fact the architecturalconsistency of the whole St George’s is such that it is unclear whether this chantry chapel was constructed during the lifetime of Edward IV and Hastings, or built at the end of the fifteenth century when the chantry was founded. However, Tatton-Brown has used the fan vaulting and heraldry to date this work on the Hastings chantry to the late 1490s, suchvaulting was often completed several years after other building work. Hastings bequeathed 100 marks for the completion of his tomb, but thereis no surviving evidence for any monument. In spite of his execution Hastings retained his burial place, but the chantry foundation was only achieved by his son and widow under the authority of Henry VII.



Lord William Hastings Chantry - Located in St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle

Click the link for more information on the chantry.

Status: Located

Owner/Source"The Chantries and Chantry Chapels of St George’s Chapel", Cindy Wood, University Of Winchester,
PlaceSt. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England
Latitude51.4836271
Longitude-0.6066911000000346
Linked toWilliam Hastings, 1st Baron Hastings

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21» Next»     » Slide Show





This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 12.0.2, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2021.

Maintained by Linda Vines.